Sunday, January 8, 2012

Call Me Rikki

    The first time I ever met someone with the same name (spelling, that is) was a girl when I was in third grade. Her name was Rikki, and that was when I noticed that even though I had an Uncle Ricky, my name was different, not a boy's name, but a girl's. Of course, I've always known I was named after my uncle. It's no coincidence that my name is Rikki, and my uncle's is Ricky. My father, who gave me the name, has never admitted that he named me after his brother, but it's very obvious to everyone in my family. I don't mind the name, and I even like that it's spelled differently than what most people assume when they hear Rikki. My name is a way to show that I'm different, I'm unique, and I'm sometimes confused when my uncle is around, because I'm never sure which Rikki/Ricky someone is trying to talk to. Over the years, my name has morphed. To my uncle, I am “Little Rick,” to help stem some of the confusion. I'm used to that name, and it has only been recently that my more common name “Ant-Rikki” has stopped being used. I have an older brother named Anthony, and my parents would often get the names mixed up and start to call me the wrong thing. I grew used to the new name, because well, what else is there to do in that situation?
     I do often wish that my middle name was my first, and that I was a William instead of a Rikki. I've toyed with the possibility of getting my friends to call me William, but my identity feels so tied to my name. I would have to make changes in my life if I wanted to be a new name, a new person. Instead, I stick with the name I was given at birth, even though now my name is changing just a little. My close friends call me Rik (yes, with one k), and I can manage that. It's close enough Rikki that I don't have to imagine I am someone new, someone else. I can keep my personality and everything that ties me to my name.

6 comments:

  1. I can completely identify with you on being called by your brother's name: I am the only girl, but I still get called by my brothers' names. I had to adapt, too – eventually I realized that I could tell whether or not someone was talking to/about me by their inflection. Interestingly, I've picked up the habit too – most frequently in reference to people I've known my entire life. Hopefully they realize that I do know who they are and that it doesn't reflect my view of them as much as it does my brain's stupidity. I'm glad that my family isn't the only one where such name confusion exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rikki, I do not think your name is a girl's name. I think your name has tons of personality and it really describes exactly who you are. Actually, I think I am going to start calling you "Little Rick" because I like the way it sounds. Everyone's name has a story, mine is really boring, but I think your name has a lot of spunk and helps people to get to know you! =)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I have never had the experience myself having the same name I have experienced the problem of having to relations have the same name. I have both a cousin and an uncle in one family named Eric, to solve this problem when they are in the same room they are referred to as Big Eric and Little Eric. I also have two uncles named Phil, one on each side of the family. Occasionally this can get confusing when I meet people and they begin to talk to me about my uncle Phil; sometimes I can figure it out without asking, but I have gone through entire conversations without knowing for sure which uncle Phil I am actually discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your comments about how you feel that your identity is tied up with your name. It does often feel to me that, when I even think about changing my name, I perceive myself to be a different person.

    I often wonder where the connotations with certain names come from. I assume our preferences are cultural, but I wonder what the most influential sources for thoughts about names might be. For example, is William a cool name because of a literary character, or a public figure named William that we find particularly admirable?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like what you said about about the spelling issue; this seems to be a recurrent theme for many of us in this class. But I absolutely think that it is the unique aspect of the way a name is spelled that ties us so closely to our name as a part of our identity. In theatre, the name of a character is the first part we come into contact with, and influences our perceptions: I think most everyone would be able to know there was some different between characters named "Cecil Bellamy" and LaKwon Jackson."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the variety in your name stories. It's interesting that even though Ricky and Rikki sound the same, that spelling can make such a difference in the way we relate to a name. Sounds like there's a story behind your father's naming you after his brother but not admitting it! If you were a William, would you be a Will, or a Willie, or a Bill? Or, like the Prince of Wales, a Wils?

    ReplyDelete